Book Review: I’m Trying to Love Spiders by Bethany Barton

I’m Trying to Love Spiders by Bethany Barton is a nonfiction picture book about spiders. This is a fun,  witty picture book that gives the reader a little perspective on spiders. While many people are afraid of them, or just get the willies when they see them, spiders are amazing and helpful creatures. This book gently takes those that are less than fond of spiders and gives them good reason not to reach for the shoe or other solid object when they run across a spider. 

I’m Trying to Love Spiders gives readers of all ages a fresh ands funny look at spiders. While the book features some squished spiders, as the story is about getting over a distaste for spiders, it also includes lots of interesting facts about spiders. For instance, I had no idea that I was more likely to be struck by lightning than die from a spider bite- not that I expect either to happen to me. I liked the details about spiders, the rest of which I did know, such as how they eat, that there are a variety of web and trap styles and hows many insects a single spider can eat in a year. This is a great pick for any reader that dislikes spiders, and other insects for that matter. Even if it does not get them past their dislike, at least they will have a good laugh.


I’m Trying to Love Spiders is a great book for helping children, and reluctant adults reading aloud, to see spiders in a new way. Facts about the amazing abilities of spiders, and how rare actual harm from a spider is, might help everyone be a little kinder to our eight legged friends.   

No comments: