Book Review Recorder and Randsell vol.1 by Meme Higashiya

Recorder and Randsell vol.1 is a graphic novel by Meme Higashiya. Miyagawa Atsumi and her younger brother Atsushi seem like your typical siblings. Atsumi is a high school sophomore dealing with exams, Atsushi is a 5th grader who only wants to run off and play with his friends. School's hard enough as it is, but things are a little harder for these two. Atsumi is so small that she still mistaken for a little kid, while Atsushi is so tall people assume he's a full-grown man. 

Recorder and Randsell is a fun graphic novel that I was able to enjoy. I liked that the siblings were so different from each other, they obviously cared about each other and wanted to fit in to the world around them. Their desire to fit into the world is universal, and I liked that this was shown in both serious and humorous ways as the siblings navigate life. I found the entire work to be charming and entertaining, although I was occasionally confused. I often read a page a couple times to figure out the right reading order, and did not always feel confident in my opinion.  a few pages had me reading right to left, and then trying left to right (the traditional manga format) and was not always satisfied with one or the other consistently.

Recorder and Randsell is a entertaining and charming read. Despite my mild frustration, I still enjoyed the feel, style, and mood of the graphic novel and am interested n exploring it further. 

No comments: