Early Book Review: I'm with Cupid by Anna Staniszewski

I'm with Cupid is the first book in a new middle grade to young adult series, Switched at First Kiss, by Anna Staniszewski. It is currently schedule for release on July 7th 2015. When she's dared to kiss the adorkable Marcus Torelli at a party, Lena thinks it's the perfect opportunity to cross First Kiss off her list of "Things to Accomplish Before I Turn Fourteen." The spark she feels during the kiss is an added bonus, or so she thinks. It's only when she gets sent on an assignment the next day that she realizes something is wrong. That ZING she felt was not just the thrill of her first kiss, she and Marcus have swapped powers! Lena is not your average eighth grader; she's a soul collector with a serious job to do. And Marcus turns out to be a supernatural matchmaker (like Cupid, but without the diaper). Now logical Lena finds herself with the love touch, and sweet, sentimental Marcus has death at his fingertips.

I'm with Cupid is a great start to a new series. I love Lena's no nonsense approach to the world, an attitude that has been shaped by her family. Marcus is a sweet and adorably awkward tween dealing with a completely different set of family dynamics. I liked the realistic way the pair are tentative around each other as they face their first relationship, changes at home, and dealing with the crisis of their switched powers. I really liked how much each of the characters grew as they came to understand important things about themselves and life because of everything going on around them. I am really looking forward to finding out what lies in store for this pair as their story continues.


I'm with Cupid is a delightfully fun story about two extraordinary kids facing normal, and less than normal, problems. I think most tween and young teen readers will relate to the book in some way, and be entertained, and older readers will also enjoy the book on several levels. A good, fun read that I think will be a hit for this years summer reading. 

No comments: