Book Review: Lady of Devices by Shelley Adina

Lady of Devices is the first book in the Magnificent Devices series by Shelley Adina. This steampunk adventure is set in London, 1889. Claire Trevelyan should be a lady at the age of 17, but after graduating from finishing school her home life implodes when her father loses the estate. Determined to escape the traditional marriage her mother is determined she achieve, Claire seeks employment instead. Her attempts lead her to an unexpected place and title, but one Lord James Selwyn and the hidden world of London keep Claire on her toes.

Lady of Devices is more of a prelude to a larger story than a story in its own right. I liked the characters, I found Claire to be a smart and determined young lady and the proper members of society that she mingles with at the start to be what I expect, with very few exceptions. The children and others she meets further on certainly kept me interested, but only set the stage for the next chapter in this story. I liked the development of Claire's character, and her earning of her title 'Lady of Devices' but felt left hanging at the end of the book. It certainly left me wanting more, but not enough to pay full price for the next book when this felt like only half of a book. I liked what I read, but am feeling a little to disappointed and distrustful to pay for more at the moment. does the next book also end leaving the reader hanging, and the next?


I would recommend Lady of Devices to steampunk fans. however, if you are buying the story I would recommend going for the package set of the series rather than buying a book at a time. The story and characters are intriguing, but I am too frustrated and have too many other books waiting for my attention to keep reading at this point even if I really want to know what Lord James' deal is. 

No comments: