Audio Book Review: Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman

Fortunately, the Milk is a children's chapter book written by Neil Gaiman, and illustrated by Skottie Young. I listened to the audiobook (read by Neil himself!) but have held the paperback in my hands. the illustrations and font work in the written version is great, as are the inflections and sounds done by Mr. Gaiman in the audio version. you cannot lose regardless of format you chose!


One morning, after mother went off on a trip, it was discovered that there was no milk. No milk for breakfast cereal, or tea. So father went to the corner store to get some, and he took a very long time. On his return he explains why to his two children. It begins with: "I bought the milk," said my father. "I walked out of the corner shop, and heard a noise like this: t h u m m t h u m m. I looked up and saw a huge silver disc hovering in the air above Marshall Road. "Hullo," I said to myself. "That's not something you see every day. And then something odd happened." This father's story of time travel, dinosaurs, volcano gods, and more fill the pages of Fortunately, the Milk. It is funny, silly, and occasionally a little unnerving as one man tries to get one container of milk home to his children. And so he can have his cup of tea and read the paper of course.
Once again, Neil Gaiman proves that he cannot go wrong. Fortunately, the Milk is a fantastically fun story full of imagination and adventure. Read it, listen to it, or both. I enjoyed it in the car with my 6 and 8 year olds- I think children and adults of all ages will find humor and delight in this book.

No comments: