Book Review: Everything I Need To Know I Learned From a Little Golden Book by Diane Muldrow

Everything I Need To Know I Learned From a Little Golden Book by Diane Muldrow is a humorous and sweet "guide to life" for grown-ups! Muldrow's tips for getting the most out of life ("Don't forget to enjoy your wedding!", "Be a hugger.", "Sweatpants are bad for morale.") are drawn from more than 60 stories, are paired with the images from these best-loved children's books of all time. The images are pulled from stories like The Poky Little Puppy, Pantaloon, Mister Dog, Nurse Nancy, We Help Mommy, Five Pennies to Spend, and The Little Red Hen. The Golden greats of children's illustration are represented here as well: Richard Scarry, Garth Williams, Eloise Wilkin, J. P. Miller, and Mary Blair, among many others.

Everything I Need To Know I Learned From a Little Golden Book is a book that I honestly picked up because of the title and cover. I saw it come into my library on hold for a patron, and quickly put myself on hold for it as well. Thankfully the book gave me the exact warm fuzzies that I expected. I love the familiar golden foil spine and the images that I remember from my childhood pair with advise that might seem trite, but when combined with these particular images made me smile, and I will admit to misty eyes.

I think all book lovers, from every generation, need to look at Everything I Need To Know I Learned From a Little Golden Book. It is sweet, quirky, and nostalgic for so many of us that grew up with the classic golden book, and those of us that have carried that tradition on with our own children and  grandchildren. 

No comments: