Early Book Review: The Importance of Being Alice by Katie MacAlister

The Importance of Being Alice by Katie MacAlister is the first book in the Ainslie Brothers series. It is currently scheduled for publication on January 6th 2015. Nothing about Alice Wood’s life is normal right now. Her fiancĂ©, Patrick, called off their wedding and relationship only days before their nonrefundable wedding trip. And though a luxurious European river cruise for one is just what she needs, it is not quite what she gets. Because of a horrible misunderstanding, Alice is now cramped in her “romantic” suite with one of Patrick’s friends. Instead of cruising along the Rhine, Main, and Danube rivers sipping champagne with the love of her life, she’s navigating the waters with a strange, yet mysteriously handsome, British aristocrat. Elliot is an author, that also happens to be a Baron with a passel of siblings and unusual mother, looking for some alone time to write. But his stodgy, serious self is about to be sidetracked by a woman who seems to have jumped out of the pages of a fairy tale, one who is determined to shake up his life and include him in her own happily ever after.

The Importance of Being Alice brings me back to why I fell in love with MacAlister's writing to begin with. Alice is a smart but impulsive characters with an ability to talk and be witty practically non stop. Elliot is a very intelligent and responsible man that does everything he can to take care of his family even when he feels taken advantage of or particularly put-upon. There is suspicion, and some misunderstanding to be sure, but their banter and good natures just make the story so much fun. I laughed and snickered out loud several times while reading, which would make my daughter ask me what was so funny. I could only answer her half the time, because some of the seriously funny bits were not appropriate for my six year old’s ears. This book holds everything good I have ever found in MacAlister’s work, and has made me very eager to see what lies in store for Elliot’s brothers as the series continues.

I will admit that the love I have of MacAlister had faded a bit recently. The dragon series has lost its shine for me. But, The Importance of Being Alice brings me back to the serious love of her humor and quirky characters that I had years ago. It you like humor with your romance, quirky characters that you wish you were friends with, and quick adventure in your reading then you better add this book (and series) to your TBR list. Seriously- so happy with this book! I cannot wait to read the second book, A Midsummer’s Night Romp, when it is released in May of 2015.

No comments: