Book Review: Have You Seen my Dragon by Steve Light


Have You Seen my Dragon by Steve Light is a picturebook that explores counting and numbers along with the fun of a search and find. In the city a small boy is searching for his friend. Readers of all ages spot the glorious beast along with a variety of big-city icons they can count. Is the dragon taking the crosstown bus, or breathing his fiery breath below a busy street? Maybe he took a taxi to the zoo or is playing with the dogs in the park. 

Have You Seen my Dragon has lovely pen and ink illustrations which results in a stylized blend of black and white page with pops of color. Searching for the dragon invites young readers to count to twenty as we spot the dragon hiding (not very well for the most part) in the daily finds of city life. I really loved the detailed artwork, and both my children could spend significant time enjoying this book. The lines and hidden details really made me smile, as did the fun counting and antics of the dragon. This book is well worth a look for the artwork alone, but it just might trick some reluctant counters to get some practice in.

No comments: