Book Review: The Pigeon Needs a Bath by Mo Willems

The Pigeon Needs a Bath by Mo Willems is the newest addition to the Pigeon collection from Willems, and it meets all the exceptions of this fan. In this adventure the intrepid pigeon really needs a bath. However, you know the pigeon is not going to make this easy. Pigeon is sure the bath he took last month, he thinks, has him covered. But when even  the flies start telling him he needs a bath, pigeon still is not sure. It's going to take some serious convincing to try and get the Pigeon to take the plunge.

Mo Willem rocks, I love his books and was thrilled to see this on my cart to catalog! In The Pigeon Needs a Bath readers see the pigeon fight against a bath with as much effort as he has previously fought against bedtime, and for driving a bus, having a hot dog party, and so on. Pigeon's tenacity is something I can recognize in both my kids, and honestly myself at times. Also, I know there are parents out there that have battles about getting the kids in the bath. (I am fortunate in that my biggest problem is getting them out of the tub, and limiting the baths to once a day.) So this book is something so many kids and parents can relate to and find entertainment in that I think everyone should read it. Yup everyone, kids that love the bath, kids that hate the bath, and parents that just hose the kids off in the summer or let them play in the rain to avoid the fight.

The Pigeon Needs a Bath is another home run by Mo Willems. It is a great read aloud book to share, and a book young readers can enjoy alone. I think the book, the ending in particular, is something all caregivers can relate to, and will make kids smile too!

No comments: