Book Review: Me and My Ghoulfriends (Larue Donavan #1) by Rose Pressey

Me and My Ghoulfriends is the first book in the Larue Donavan series by Rose Pressey. Larue Donavan is a bookstore owner with a secret. On her nights and weekends she often moolights as a ghost hunter, and more often than not she brings her work home with her. Dead people just won't leave her alone and Abraham Lincoln thinks he's in charge of her lovelife. Larue can handle ghosts and undead presidents, it's dealing with the living that is driving her crazy. The handsome Callahan Weiss moves to town and opens a coffee shop right next door. While Larue is smitten from the start, she is not the only one. Another shop owner has her eye on Callahan too, but she is not fighting fair. Unexplained accidents and some odd behavior from Callahan arouse suspicion, and Larue might have to deal with more than unruly spirits to get her man.

Me and My Ghoulfriends is a good start to a series. I liked the character of Larue for the most part, but was annoyed at her for trying to hide her ghost friendly side from Callahan. I like strong minded characters that are aware of what makes them different and own it, rather than try to keep it under wraps. Really, if things worked out with a gut they would not start wondering where you run off to most weekends? Aside from that, I loved the interaction with Larue and the ghosts and the humor that threads through the book. I was hoping for a better relationship between Larue and her best friend, which seemed a to waver between intensely loyal and an afterthought as I read the book. I think there is a great deal of potential in the series, and it might be great, but that greatness is not fully realizxed in the first book.

I did enjoy the read, and for a free Amazon download I cannot regret having spent the time. Me and My Ghoulfriends was fun, entertaining, and a decent set up for more development in later books of the series. I do think that I will follow up and read the second book, Ghouls Night Out, to see if the potential of the series pans out.

No comments: