Book Review: Zebra Stripes Go Head to Toe by Sheryl and Simon Shapiro

Zebra Stripes Go Head to Toe by Sheryl Shapiro and Simon Shapiro is a concept book that deals with squares and stripes. The concepts are introduced with common objects like boxes, and expanded on to include cubes and a variety of squares and lines. The change ability of shapes, such as a square of chocolate having a bite taken out of it, make the ideas much more concrete for all ages.

Zebra Stripes Go Head to Toe is an interesting concept book, with great illustrations and quality information. My only distraction with the book is that based on the title I expected a book that spoke only, or at least mainly, about stripes. I double checked that I had the right book when I started reading only to discover the first half of the small book was about squares and cube, and only at the end did the text segue into stripes and lines. I did enjoy the examples used and the images, but I think a better title could have been chosen. One thing that I really liked was the use of lines in correlation with page numbers in the corner of each page.

I would recommend Zebra Stripes Go Head to Toe to further the understanding of squares, cubes, and lines in young children. This concept book is done by the same people as Ladybugs Have Lots of Spots, and the two would work well in tandem or on their own.

1 comment:

Fe Adamsonn said...

Books for kids is good. I have books given last Christmas season as well and I hope kids will read it.

Military spouses