Book Review: Lover at Last by J.R. Ward

Lover at Last is the eleventh book in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward. If you have not read the series yet, you would be lost entering at this late stage. There are many sub plots and social dynamics at work, which would limit the enjoyment of those that jump in the pool this late. Now- on to the fact that Quinn and Blaylock finally get their book. Huzzah. Quinn is shunned and disavowed by aristocracy but has found his place as a fighter working hand in hand with the Brotherhood. Layla, the Chosen, is pregnant with his child, and his dreams of having a family is coming true. But, he is in love with Blay rather than the Chosen and facing the torture of watching his longtime friend Blay and his cousin Saxton as a happy couple. However, things start to shift and crazy actions, danger, and new players on the street of Caldwell create the perfect storm that just might bring Quinn and Blay together. In the background be prepared for the introduction of two new love stories, crazy political maneuvering, and a stage set for all hell to break lose in book 12!

Lover at Last is a book that I both greatly anticipated, and rather dreaded. Why? Well, there are a few reasons. I looked forward to it because I love the characters of Quinn and Blay so much, that I wanted them to find their happily ever after- and find it together. I dreaded it because I had my doubts about the man on man action and the reviews and commentaries that might surround it. To answer that- ward did a fantastic job of bringing our boys together and having the journey be heart wrench and joyous while I am either out of the loop or thrilled that I have yet to see any hoopla about the gender of the couple thus far. Thank goodness! I had my doubts after seeing that death threats were sent to another author when people did not like the romantic conclusion of their series.

Now, I will admit to feeling a little distracted, and slightly annoyed at ti8mes, by all of the side stories in Lover at Last. I wanted to focus on Quinn and Blay, but had four or five side stories to contend with. By the end of the book I knew that they had to be there, that big things are on the way for the Brotherhood, Caldwell, and readers. I am looking forward to seeing how everything comes together- and at the pace the story is moving I expect the impact to be explosive!

I recommend Lover at Last to fans to the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. If you have not read the series, do not start here! start with the first book, Dark Lover, and see if this urban fantasy about warrior vampires facing an unique enemy with having to man up and deal with their emotions as they find love. The romance is hot, if you can get past the heavy and sometimes overzealous use of slang, which I have started to not even notice anymore.

No comments: