Picturebook Review: Exclamation Mark by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and Tom Lichtenheld


Exclamation Mark is a picturebook written by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and illustrated by Tom Lichtenheld. The exclamation mark stands out, no matter what he does or where he goes. He would really like to be more like everyone else, but he is just too different. Finally a friend shows him that being different is a good thing, and that he has endless potential.

Exclamation Mark seems like a simple enough story, but like Spoon and Chopsticks, we see that it can be the simple things that can really change us. Exclamation mark is tired of standing out in a crowd and tries to bend and twist to be more like the rest of the punctuation marks, only to find that it does not help him, and is extremely uncomfortable. It is his differences that make him special, make him wonderful, and gives him his abilities. I know I have gone through moments (or years) where I thought I had to twist myself to fit other's expectations to some degree, and I think that everyone regardless of age can remember going through it as well.

I highly recommend Exclamation Mark to everyone. Thats right, everyone. I also recommend taking a peek at Rosenthal's other books and enjoying the apparent simplicity of the story, and the impact it can have. Liking yourself and being yourself is something that readers of all ages might need to learn, and be reminded of on a regular basis. This book can help with that, and make you smile about it the whole time.

No comments: