Picturebook Review: I'm a Shark by Bob Shea


I'm a Shark by Bob Shea is a fun and boldly illustrated book about an arrogant shark that proclaims that he is not afraid of anything. He continually tells two, much smaller, admirers that he is brave and not afraid of anything. He proclaims that most of the scariest things in the world are actually afraid of him. He is not afraid of the dark, a giant squid, or a big mean bear.  Before long readers, young and old, are well aware of the one thing that scares shark, even though he will not admit it. Even the awesome shark is afraid of something, and his small fans are afraid of something too.


I am a fan of Bob Shea. The combination of his big, bold illustrations and fun text make reading his books a joy. I will admit to enjoying them well before sharing them with my children. I'm a Shark is no exception. The boastful shark is a great lesson for children, both in the fact that is alright to be afraid and in recognizing that everyone is afraid of something. Even the biggest, baddest, smartest, strongest, most whatever is important to them, is afraid of something. In some cases the fear is justified, or at least something that has a purpose, like a small fish being afraid of a shark. However, sometimes even the bravest among us are afraid of the little things that can truly cause us no harm. I was glad that the shark was afraid of something as simple as spiders, it will make my own dislike of clowns and porcelain dolls much easier to explain to my children when the time comes. (They are both just creepy.)

I highly recommend I'm a Shark to all picturebook readers and listeners.

No comments: