Early Book Review: Legends & Lattes by Travis Baldree

Legends & Lattes by Travis Baldree is a fantasy for young adults and adults current scheduled for paperback release on November 8 2022. After a lifetime of bounties and bloodshed, Viv is hanging up her sword for the last time. The battle-weary orc aims to start fresh, opening the first ever coffee shop in the city of Thune. But old and new rivals stand in the way of success, not to mention the fact that no one has the faintest idea what coffee actually is. If Viv wants to put the blade behind her and make her plans a reality, she won't be able to go it alone. But the true rewards of the uncharted path are the travelers you meet along the way. And whether drawn together by ancient magic, flaky pastry, or a freshly brewed cup, they may become partners, family, and something deeper than she ever could have dreamed.
Legends & Lattes was a engaging and entertaining read. I really enjoyed getting to know the characters and setting. I thought that Viv was a great character, and the fact that she was often unsure of things made her a better character in my opinion. I thought the story was fun on several levels, and while advertised as low stakes fantasy, I will say there are some moments that felt very high stakes emotionally for me- even though the fate of the world was not at risk. I greatly enjoyed the cast of characters, and my only complaint is that I want more of all of them. I want prequels and sequels so I can get to know this characters even better.  I would love some companion stories while we are at it, because I want more on several of the secondary characters, not just the main group. I really enjoyed settling in to read this, and it was just what I needed to get excited about reading again and break me out of a reading slump where I was having trouble getting excited about anything I was reading. 

Legends & Lattes was a delightful read, and I am so glad I found it. I am hoping for more!

No comments: