Early Book Review: Buzzkill: A Wild Wander Through the Weird and Threatened World of Bugs by Brenna Maloney

Buzzkill: A Wild Wander Through the Weird and Threatened World of Bugs, written by Brenna Maloney and illustrated by Dave Mottram, is currently scheduled for release on October 11 2022.  The praying mantis is the only animal on Earth with one ear, and it’s in the middle of its chest. Aphids are born pregnant. Moths can’t fly during an earthquake. If you didn’t know these things, you soon will. Packed full of jaw-dropping facts, Buzzkill presents the big picture on bugs. You might think ew, gross. Insects are icky. Or scary. Or dangerous. They can be. But there’s so much more you need to know. Insects play a critical role on our planet, from sustenance to pollination to medicines and more. Brenna Maloney tackles both the wacky and weird, as well as threats to insects and their habitats, their possible extinction, and ways that everyday people, like you, can prevent their decline.

Buzzkill is very well written. The author has a conversational tone, with some sardonic humor through out the book, to keep readers engaged and interested. I do think that this book would be best suited for the middle school and older crowd, but younger readers that are interested in the topic will likely enjoy the read as well. I have read up a bit on creepy crawlies, and I have to admit that even though some of the facts in the book were things I knew, I still learned a great deal of information, and more importantly was able to put what I already knew and what I just learned into a larger context for a bigger picture. I loved the occasional illustrations in the book, and I thought they were charming and fun. I only wish that some of the more unusual insects had illustrations as well rather than suggestions to go Google them on my own. Some readers will not have a phone or computer handy to do that while they are reading for a variety of reasons. That being said, I greatly enjoyed the read and think a number of children, teens, and yes adults will find an education and entertainment from this read.  

Buzzkill is an entertaining and informative read that will teach every reader a little something about insects.

No comments: