Early Book Review: Soaring in Style: How Amelia Earhart Became a Fashion Icon by Jennifer Lane Wilson, Lissy Marlin

Soaring in Style: How Amelia Earhart Became a Fashion Icon, written by Jennifer Lane Wilson and illustrated by Lissy Marlin, is currently scheduled for release on February 1 2022. Long before Amelia Earhart became a superstar, she was a girl who longed to touch the stars. But the dresses women had to wear at the time made those dreams seem almost impossible. Amelia didn’t let that stop her. As a young aviator breaking records and expectations, she learned to fly her plane with flair. Later, she dared to create a trendsetting fashion line for active women like herself. Soaring in Style tells the groundbreaking story of how Amelia Earhart defied expectations in the air and on the ground to become America’s first celebrity fashion designer.
Soaring in Style is a well written, and beautifully illustrated, nonfiction book. I think the narrative style make for an engaging and accessible read. I was glad to see this book, and learn something new. Like most, I had heard plenty about Earhart's dedication to flying. I had not heard about her clothing designs, although her desire for clothes that are both functional and fashionable seems to be something many of us still seem to dealing with. I thought the text and illustrations matched well, and I loved the personality that seemed clear to me in all of the images of Earhart. I greatly enjoyed the read, and learned a few new things. 

No comments: