Book Review: Scales and Sensibility (Regency Dragons) by Stephanie Burgis


Scales and Sensibility
 is the first book in the 
Regency Dragons series by Stephanie Burgis. 
Sensible, practical Elinor Tregarth really did plan to be the model poor relation when she moved into her aunt and uncle's house. She certainly never meant to kidnap her awful cousin Penelope's pet dragon. She never expected to fall in love with the shameless - but surprisingly sweet - fortune hunter who came to court Penelope, either. And she never dreamed that she would have to enter into an outrageous magical charade to save her younger sisters' futures. However, even the most brilliant scholars of 1817 England still haven't ferreted out all the lurking secrets of rediscovered dragonkind, and even the most sensible of heroines can still make a reckless wish or two when she's pushed. Now Elinor will have to find out just how rash and resourceful she can be when she sets aside all common sense. Maybe, just maybe, she'll even be impractical enough to win her own true love and a happily ever after, with the unpredictable and dangerous "help" of the magical creature who has adopted her.

Scales and Sensibility is a delightful read and my only disappointment is that I let it sit in my TBR pile for as long as I did. I loved the characters, and was thoroughly invested in Elinor's adventures from the beginning. Discovering the personalities and secrets of the characters along with her was a engaging journey, although I admit that there were a few times that I would have loved to have known what was going on in the minds of other characters on occasion. There were many times that I suspected certain twists and was glad to see them play out, but there were just as many points of the story that had me very concerned as to how it was all going to work out. I thought the dash of magic was just right, and drew me further into the world of the story, and eager to ferret out even more information. The secondary characters, story, and world building were well paced and balanced. The story came to a satisfying conclusion, but left me wanting more. The perfect blend of each for a series starter- and I will eagerly continue with this series. 

Scales and Sensibility is a charming start to a new series, and I cannot wait to see where the story goes from here.

No comments: