Book Review: A Grimoire for Gamblers (Trove Arbitrations) by Amanda Creiglow


A Grimoire for Gamblers
 is the first book in the Trove Arbitrations series by Amanda Creiglow. Small town mayor’s assistant Elizabeth has enough on her plate grieving her father’s suicide. She doesn’t need his stash of magical knowledge in the attic. She doesn’t need the hidden supernatural subculture of monsters it pulls her into. And she certainly doesn’t need hints that her father’s madness might have been a smokescreen for something far darker. But uncovering her father’s secrets could be the only way Elizabeth can stop a string of suspicious suicides… if the local wizard doesn’t rip the memories out of her mind, first.

A Grimoire for Gamblers is the start of a new series that I will be reading. I think the world building was well done, delivering a great deal of information throughout the book with out feeling like there were any big info dumps to wade through. I liked Elizabeth's character as well, I thought her grief at the loss of her father and her curiosity at the world she was discovering was well done. I thought the introduction to the secondary characters was very well done as well. I have questions, but not because the author left out important information but because I simply want to know more and see more of them in future installments of the series. I also liked that some of the magical creations and characters were ones that are not as prevalent in the genre. Some oft he magic and characters were ones I do not remember being worked into urban fantasy before, which made me very happy. I love discovering new to met hings and exploring them further. I think the twists and turns of the story were very well done, and I look forward to were the story might go from here. 

A Grimoire for Gamblers is a solid series starter with a nice balance of satisfying ending and needing more.

No comments: