Book Review: She's My Knight, Volume 1, by Saisou

She's My Knight, Volume 1, by Saisou is a manga style graphic novel. Haruma Ichinose, 17, has been popular since he was born. So popular, in fact, that he figured no one could even come close, until he met Yuki Mogami. She's tall, cool, collected, and totally makes him crazy. He may just be in love, but can he deal with falling for someone even more dashing than himself?
She's My Knight is a cute middle school to young adult manga, while other age groups can enjoy it as well. On the surface this is simply the story of two popular kids getting to know each other, and coming to like each other, while dealing with the idea that they have unconventional prince/princess roles with each other. Sometimes that role reversal comes off as completely misogynistic and off putting, but I felt like it was done here with a nod to all the other anime and manga that have made use of this idea. I thought the various nods to different tropes often used in romantic  manga was well done and fun. I would have liked to have seen more of Mogami's thoughts- as we seem to get more from even the secondary characters than from her.  I liked the story and art, and would certainly pick up the next volume if I found it- but I would not go hunting for it. 

No comments: