Book Review: Brain Drain: Part 1 Script and Art by Pierre-Henry Gomont

Brain DrainPart 1 with script and art by Pierre-Henry Gomont, is a graphic novel. Certain details surrounding the death of Albert Einstein are so outlandish as to sound like urban legend: namely, the theft of his brain by Thomas Stoltz Harvey, the pathologist who performed the eminent physicist’s autopsy. From these historical events, Pierre-Henry Gomont concocts a picaresque road trip of a tale by turns farcical and moving, whimsical and melancholy, sweeping up in its narrative whirlwind the FBI, a sanatorium, neurobiology, hallucinogens, hospital bureaucracy, and romance. In his dissection of friendship and the forging of scientific reputation, the nimble cartoonist serves up a slice of lovingly rendered Americana for the ages.

Brain Drain taught me some weird history I somehow did not know and took me on a mad cap ride while still taking the time to explore the human condition. I might have heard about the theft of Einstein's brain, as I love weird history, but I never really considered it in context- the why's and hows surrounding it. While the author is clear that they have taken liberties with the details, I enjoyed the glimmer of truth the underlies the entire story. The desire to further understanding, knowledge, and science along side the desire to be recognized for the work is something that many people will recognize in themselves even if their passion is completely unrelated to science. The honest look at Stoltz's motivation, faults, and fears were just as interesting at the ideas about how Einstein though and might feel if he knew someone stole his brain. The art work was well dome, and really matched the mood and tenor of the story. It matched the emotions and fears of the characters, and the chaos that these kind of actions can bring on. My only disappointment is that the story is broken into two parts, because I want to know what happens next in this version of history. I believe I will be taking a look at part 2.


No comments: