Early Book Review: Barely Functional Adult: It'll All Make Sense Eventually by Meichi Ng

 Barely Functional Adult: It'll All Make Sense Eventually by Meichi Ng is currently scheduled for release on November 24 2020. This collection of four color, never before seen, short stories holds a mirror to our past, present, and future selves. Featuring a swaddled Barely Functional Adult as its protagonist who says all the things we think but dare not say, this book is equal parts humorous and heartbreaking as it spans a spectrum of topics from impostor syndrome, therapy, friendships, first loves, letting go of exes, to just trying to find your purpose in the world. 
Barely Functional Adult had a little more text than I was expecting, but I really enjoyed the read. The illustrations are charming and cute, and I recognized the artist's work as something I have enjoyed in the past. As an introvert that has struggled with some of the same thoughts, I related to the personal narrative. I liked the honesty and frankness of the text, and think that there are a great many people that could relate to the book. We are all just struggling in our own way through life, and seeing that no one choice is perfect, and feelings might be troublesome but most are universal, can make readers feel less alone. Impostor syndrome and not really knowing what we are supposed to be doing are pretty common, and I hate to break it to you- age does not lessen the possibility of these feelings. While this is marketed mainly at readers that share the author's generational labels, I think everyone can find something here to relate to, including middle and high school students. I tell my own kids all the time that the adults they see are faking it just as much as they are- and that reminder that we are all just getting through life a day at a time is good for all of us. I do not mean all that to mean this book is depressing, rather that it foster the knowledge that none of us are alone, and that there is hope and humor to be found in it all.

No comments: