Early Book Review: Cursed (Fairy Tale Reform School) by Jen Calonita

Cursed is the sixth book in the Fairy Tale Reform School series by Jen Calonita and is currently scheduled for release on May 1 2020. I do recommend reading the series in order to understand what is going on and the relationship details. In fact, having read the previous books and the two books in the spin off series, it took me a bit to remember important details and figure out where we had left off.

The evil Rumplestiltskin is planning to cast a curse that will erase Enchantasia as the world knows it, and a fairy prophecy declares that Gilly Cobbler will play a key role. Never one to shy away from adventure, Gilly and her friends embark on an epic, swashbuckling journey to stop Stiltskin from getting the ingredients he needs before it's too late. Gilly can't help but wonder if it's already too late for her beloved sister, Anna, who's still a member of the villainous Stiltskin Squad, and will seemingly stop at nothing to thwart Gilly and her crew. Only by harnessing the skills she may have inherited from her fairy grandmother can Gilly stop Stiltskin and reunite her family. But with time running out and her fairy skills lying dormant, does Gilly have what it takes to prevent the evil curse and ensure a happily-ever-after for the Cobblers? Or will she lose Enchantasia and her friends forever?
Cursed brings readers back into the story right in the middle of the action, and there is a great deal at stake. I have to admit that it took me a bit to remember who everyone was and if characters from the cross over series made appearances and where everything stood. But, I did figure it all out and was able to follow the action. Gilly is still trying to figure out her place and what she wants, and still is struggling to let people help her and themselves. The action is almost constant in this installment, which keeps the story moving along. However, it also made the character's actions and decisions feel much more reactionary and less thought out. There was little discussion, thinking things through, and character growth than in the previous books- at least in my opinion. I think fans of the series will want to read the book to see how the larger storyline with Stiliskin and Anna conclude, and I am glad that I read it for that reason. The conclusion was well done, and at wrapped things up nicely, but I was somehow expecting more from the book as a whole. It was good, but perhaps my expectations were sky high because of how much I enjoyed the start of the series, but it was not all I had hoped.

Cursed is a good wrap up to a series, and I think those that are fans of the author will need to read it.

No comments: