Early Book Review: On the Corner of Hope and Main (Blessings) by Beverly Jenkins

On the Corner of Hope and Main is the tenth book in the Blessings by Beverly Jenkins and it was just released released on March 3 2020. I have not read the previous books, so there was a good deal of catching up to do, but I think other newcomers can fully enjoy the book without the prior reads as well, although I am likely to go back and read the whole series from the start now.

Citizens of Henry Adams, Kansas, know there’s never a dull moment in their small town. Trent July has been the mayor of this historic town for the past four years, but now he’s ready to let someone else take up the mantle. Barrett Payne, a former Marine, decides he wants the job. But when a surprise candidate also enters the ring, the town has opinions on who would be the best candidate. And of course that’s not the only drama, as Malachi “Mal” July continues to make reparations for the damage he’s caused and to the people he’s betrayed, especially his lady love Bernadine. Is she finally ready to forgive him and let the past go? As the residents of Henry Adams have learned, life will throw obstacles their way, but it’s how they come together and rise above these challenges that keep the bonds of their close-knit community strong.

On the Corner of Hope and Main is a book I requested from Netgalley without even reading the description. I had seen so much from authors I follow on social media about what a wonderful person and writer the author is that I knew I was missing out. I did not even read the description before starting reading, and it took me a bit to get into the story- mainly because I have no idea of the genre or that it was book ten in a series when I started. However, the book does a wonderful job of sharing the needed history to understand characters, their relationships, and specific interactions. Readers get the viewpoints of so many characters that the story is that of the town, rather than a single person or family, and I really enjoy it. The character work was so well done that even when a character was doing something shady or underhanded, when they were making a decision that I could not agree with, I still understood how and why they got to that point. Each of the characters had such depth, and the machinations of those who want power or money were completely on point. I just got lost in the depth and layers of the stories, and feel like the characters faced such real problems that I think that everyone can relate to one or more of the characters as they all just try to get through the day and do the best they can for their families and town. Isn't that what we are all doing, even if we don't have a crazy hog or greedy oil company at our door.

On the Corner of Hope and Main is a wonderful book with solid characters and a ton of heart. My only disappointment is that it took me so long to pick up one of the books from this series. 

No comments: