Early Book Review: Winterborne Home for Vengeance and Valor by Ally Carter

Winterborne Home for Vengeance and Valor by Ally Carter is the first book in a middle grade series. It is currently scheduled for release on March 3 2020. 

April had absolutely no intention of becoming the only person who knows that Gabriel Winterborne, the missing-and-presumed-dead billionaire, is actually living in the basement of Winterborne House, sharpening his swords and looking for vengeance. Now it’s up to April to keep him alive. But there’s only so much a twelve-year-old girl can do, so April must turn to the other orphans for help. Together, they’ll have to unravel the riddle of a missing heir and a creepy legend, and find a secret key, before the only home they’ve ever known is lost to them forever. 
Winterborne Home for Vengeance and Valor is the first middle grade novel from this author- at least that I am aware of. I have read some of her young adult book which I enjoyed, and all the things I enjoyed in those books carried over nicely to this book. April is a plucky character, aware of her weaknesses and stubborn enough to keep moving forward. I enjoyed getting to know her and the other children, and found myself invested in their pasts and future welfare almost as soon as they were introduced. There are connections forged, quirky personalities, and interesting interactions that kept the story moving ahead and left no good spots to go cook dinner or do the things that needed doing in the real world. I am still intrigued by the characters and was left thinking about them after finishing the book and moving on to my next read. Even the adults have secrets and mysteries about them that need solving, some of which were left to drive us to read the next book. I  liked that the mystery of Gabriel was solved, and the bad guy brought to justice. I also liked that the question of who made it through the confrontation alive was answered- leaving no doubts who would be making return appearances in the series (although there is always room for surprises). I found the fact that the big questions of this book were answered- but the are still a great number of more mysteries and questions waiting for solutions- none that left this book feeling unfinished but just enough to make me eager to dive into the next. That is a hard balance to achieve and Carter hit the mark here.  I just realized I said nothing much about the plot- but I would hate to ruin any of the story for you, I enjoyed the ride too much to still that enjoyment for other readers even in the effort to encourage them to read the book. 

Winterborne Home for Vengeance and Valor has a good balance of adventure, mystery, and character development. I enjoyed the story and look forward to following this series.

No comments: