Book Review: Faerie Forged (Magicsmith) by L.R. Braden

Faerie Forged is the third book in the Magicsmith series by L.R. Braden. I highly recommend reading this series in order. I think newcomers would be lost as to much of the character and world building work that was done in the previous books. 

Alex is screwed. She’s due at the fae Court of Enchantment in less than twenty-four hours, but she’s not even close to being ready. Her job is hanging by a fraying thread. There’s a new vampire master in town. And several of her werewolf friends have been captured by the Paranatural Task Force. She’s their best chance for release before the full moon reveals their secret, but the Lord of Enchantment is not someone you keep waiting—even when he happens to be your grandfather. All Alex can do is call in a favor, hope to hell she can survive the plots of the fae court, and hightail it home to salvage her life. One mistake at court could change everything.
Faerie Forged is a great addition to Alex's story and includes a great deal of additional world building as she enters the fae realm. I liked the pacing of the world and character building, and appreciate the continued character growth for Alex and those closest to her. I also liked some of the fae descriptions- and could recognize many from folklore, legends, and other previous reads. It did take me a few pages to get back into the story and remember where we left off with all of the relationships and complications, but I was quickly back to being fully invested. I liked that some threads of the story were neatly tied up, but so many new possibilities opened up by the end of the story. While the immediate issues were solved, and I was not left with the rage cliff hangers bring out in me, there are so many thing that could happen next. There are so many situations and relationships that could implode with the new developments that I desperately want the next book but also want the author to take their time so that the quality of plotting, pacing, and characters continues. 
Faerie Forged is a solid continuation of the story. I am eager to see where the story takes us next. 

No comments: