Early Book Review: The Okay Witch by Emma Steinkellner

The Okay Witch by Emma Steinkellner is a middle grade to young adult graphic novel that is currently scheduled for release on September 3 2019. Thirteen-year-old Moth Hush loves all things witchy. But she’s about to discover that witches aren’t just the stuff of movies, books, and spooky stories. When some eighth-grade bullies try to ruin her Halloween, something really strange happens. It turns out that Founder’s Bluff, Massachusetts, has a centuries-old history of witch drama. And, surprise: Moth’s family is at the center of it all! When Moth’s new powers show up, things get totally out-of-control. She meets a talking cat, falls into an enchanted diary, and unlocks a hidden witch world. Secrets surface from generations past as Moth unravels the complicated legacy at the heart of her town, her family, and herself.

The Okay Witch is a a graphic novel that takes a classic trope- underappreciated and bullied kid turns out to have powers- but magic does not instantly make everything better. I liked the way Moth and her friend CHarlie are written. Neither are perfect but both are trying to be the best people they can, and trying to find themselves in relation to their parents and in spite of them. I liked the larger story- setting their family drama and inner struggles against the history or the town. I liked seeing how history directly affects the present- and the characters in the story. I think the attitudes of the other kids- and a good number of the adults- were spot on with what I have seen in the world. My only complaint with the story is that I wanted to keep going. I want to see Moth and Charlie continue to grow, I want to see more about their families and the possible changes that are made, I just want more. That is not to say that there was anything lacking in the ending- the conclusion wrapped things up nicely- but did leave some room for sequels. I cannot end this without saying how much I loved the art style, I really enjoyed every page visually. Facial expressions and movement were conveyed perfectly and the images just made me happy.

The Okay Witch was an amazing debut graphic novel from Steinkellner and I think it will appeal to middle grade and older audiences. I look forward to seeing more from them in the future!

No comments: