Book Review: Flare Up (Boston Fire) by Shannon Stacey

Flare Up is part of the Boston Fire series by Shannon Stacey. While fans of the series will know more about the characters and relationships going in than new readers, I think the book stands up well on its own as well.

Nursing a broken heart while everybody around him seems to be drowning in happiness has Grant Cutter wondering whether staying with Engine 59—or even Boston Fire—is in his future. It’s tempting as hell to pack up what fits in his Jeep and hit the road. But then a 911 call brings the woman who shattered his heart back into his life, and he knows he won’t ever be able to fully leave her in his rearview mirror. For a few months, Wren Everett had thought the nightmare of her past was behind her and she might live happily ever after with Grant. Until she got the phone call letting her know the time her ex had spent in jail for assault hadn’t cooled his temper or determination that she belonged with him. Cutting ties with Grant was the hardest thing she’d ever had to do, but it was also the only way to keep him safe. Now that Grant is back, he’s not letting Wren push him away again. And even with the trust issues between them, Wren dares to hope she and Grant might have a future together after all…if they’re willing to fight for it.

Flare Up is a well written story. Even though I had not read the previous books, and know I missed some of the character and world building, I felt like I was well introduced the the main characters and how they relate to the others. I liked both characters, and felt like I could understand their fears and choices, even when I might not agree with them. They were real, flawed people that felt like I could meet them out and about rather than characters in a book. I thought that Wren's doubts and worries were very realistic, the results of living through a controlling and abusive relationship were represented very accurately. I liked that Wren and Grant actually talked about their problems and concerns, with each other and friends. They acted like adults rather than ignoring the problems and avoiding them (for the most part). I love when book characters actually do this instead of things magically being all better with no work done to fix things. I will say that I was expecting one more big confrontation or action scene, and the solution with the ex seemed a little anticlamatic. It was real, and realistic, but I think I was just expected a big dramatic moment after all the problems he caused. 

Flare Up is a solid contemporary romance, with plenty of action and emotion- and a nice dash of steam. 

No comments: