Book Review: The Crochet Stitch Handbook The Essential Illustrated Reference: Over 200 Traditional and Contemporary Stitches with Easy-to-Follow Charts by Betty Barnden

The Crochet Stitch Handbook The Essential Illustrated Reference: Over 200 Traditional and Contemporary Stitches with Easy-to-Follow Charts by Betty Barnden includes step-by-step instructions for basic stitches, textured stitches, fans and shells stitches, mesh and filet stitches, openwork and lace stitches, trims and edgings, clusters, puffs, bobbles, spike, relief, Tunisian, multi-color, squares, and special stitches.

If you crochet, you likely have one or two books like this somewhere in your home. A guide or handbook that offers the basics of a variety of stitches, yarns, and techniques.I happen to have three- mostly because one went missing for a bit and two quickly made their appearance, and then the wayward book reappeared.  I often flip through these books when I want to make a new afghan, scarf, or other project and am looking for something more than a basic stitch. Sometimes I am looking for a certain texture or square that I could use to build something unique, or a special edging for an extra touch. Or just to try and hopefully master something new.

The Crochet Stitch Handbook is a solid example of this style of book. I was excited to see little things included that often fall by the wayside, like the extended single stitch. Many of the instructions, stitches, and motifs were familiar or similar to ones that I have seen before, which is expected. I like that there is a key on the edge of each page to give the reader information on the stitch. The only thing I was missing was the information on the way the finished stitch drapes, which another book I have offers- and that often aids in my decision making process for choosing a stitch. However, the instructions and images were well paired and very easy to follow. I would not recommend it for fresh beginners that have just started out and are still learning all of the language and abbreviations, but anyone that has the basics down would do well with this book as their go to guide for stitches and inspiration. 

No comments: